Thursday, May 23, 2013

Levi the Miserable- Day 7 after Tonsillectomy

Levi is drinking the minimum required to keep him out of the hospital. It hurts him so bad to swallow that he can't sleep. Besides a thirty minute stretch here and there, he was up all night last night. He finally got a decent sleep, but it only lasted from 4am-6am. Fun times.

I called a nurse at the hospital today, who said that all of this is normal & that we are doing all the right things: keeping his medicines on schedule (Although he has been taking it better at home than in the hospital, I had to resort to Tylenol suppositories, which are much easier for him than having to choke down medicine when he can't swallow well.), using a cool mist humidifier, and finding fun ways to get him to drink.

For some reason he will take a drink in the car more often than at home, so we get in the car a few times a day. He also enjoys a drink buffet. I've been lining up all different things, and he will try them to see which he likes best. I got him some vanilla Pediasure because he loved it when he was smaller and needed it to gain weight. He drinks that more than anything else.
This is the face he has been making since yesterday. Poor guy.

For my Liebster Award winners, here are your 11 questions to answer. Click here for the rules, and here for who I nominated.
  1. What is the ideal comfort food?
  2. If you had one hour to yourself, how would you spend that time?
  3. What story does your family like to tell about you?
  4. What are your talents?
  5. What part of your daily routine could you not live without?
  6. What makes you laugh?
  7. What are you afraid of?
  8. What was your most embarassing moment?
  9. Have you ever had a nickname? If so, what was it & why?
  10. What's your favorite restaraunt?
  11. What is your most prized earthly possession? People do not count.
Levi's orthotics came in the mail this week. It is going to take him a while to get used to them, but they will keep his ankles from turning in. I like that they can go into almost any shoe.
We also had his IEP meeting for preschool yesterday. It went beautifully, and he will be given the therapies we wanted for the times we wanted, without us having to fight for anything. I will admit that I cried listening to his test results and all the problem areas, but I think it was partly from having such a rough week and my lack of sleep. I have been impressed with the school therapists and teachers, and they already adore him.

Adam helped in the yard today. Wes did a lot of tree trimming, and Adam was excited to help out. I remember helping sweep and do other outside chores as a child. It always made me feel important. It was fun watching him today.
Adam goes back to the neurologist next week. His tics are pretty much gone. I am interested to hear what the doctor has to say. We are so thankful for the answered prayers and that he has improved so much!


Leah said...

T&A recovery was pretty awful for Cora. She also ended up with aspiration pneumonia and had a PICU stay as a result, but even so, eating and drinking were HARD. I was glad she was nursing still, but she didn't start eating/drinking well until well over 2 weeks had gone by. And she drinks better in the car too. I find that smoothies are a good trick around here and I use them daily, since they're the only thing she will drink that doesn't come from nursing. Hope he keeps going uphill!

Cyndi Murphy said...

I am so sorry it has been such a rough time for Levi. He is a trooper and you are a hero. What a blessing the preschool/therapists will be! God certainly does provide. love you guys!

Momma Jorje said...

Poor baby! Are you able to use Chloraseptic? I hope you see drastic improvement as you reach Day 10!!

Leah said...

Poor little Levi. Breaks my heart. So glad that he'll be able to have the therapies he needs and that Adam has been doing so much better! I'll try to get those questions and everything else I need to do soon! Hugs, friend! :)

Sarah S. said...

I'm new to your blog, but I had my tonsils out in my twenties (it was horrible!) for a couple of weeks the only thing I could drink was iced tea. There was something in the tea that soothed my throat I guess. You might give that a try.

Anna Theurer said...

Oh Levi :( Day 7 was the worst for Ellie. It was the day the scabs fell off. We almost had to go to the ER for dehydration too. For the first 7 days, I had to use an oral syringe to get fluids into her--hopefully the drink buffet will continue to work for Levi and you won't have to use a syringe. Good call on the tylenol supp.

Becky said...

It was seriously a good two weeks of just miserable times with tonsils. We ended up in the ER because we had some bleeding about five days after. The bad breath was bad too and took longer to go away than I thought. But, you will get through it! I promise! Praying for you all!

Christie said...

This is fantastic!